Sunday 9 June 2013

I'm a Scrounger

At 14 years old I donned my kilt and peeny. A waitress at Knochendarroch hotel, it wisnae very easy.
In Pitlochry, that’s the way it wis, work your fingers to the bone.
Didnae matter though, those pennies I made were my own.
Odd jobs here and there as I worked through college and uni.
I even worked for the government, I was a photographer too,
I know “ya beauty!”
    But I got sick, couldn’t continue that dream career.
So I had to review what I could do, worked in the science centre up here.
But then once again, illness reared its ugly head.
 It tried to keep me down and keep me in ma bed.
So I worked for myself, and returned to education.
Who could have known I’d get even more sick, causing so much frustration.
    After weeks in hospital, needles in my spine.
I kept telling myself that I was gonna be fine.
More tests than I had at school,still no-one knew what to do.
That’s when I had to go down to the bru.
They were very nice, helped me out a lot.
But now all has changed and they seem to have forgot.
We are not all scroungers, in fact none of us are.
Westminster government has just gone too far!
    Every day I hear on the news, about benefit fraud, folk not paying their dues!
 But I did! I made my NI contribution, this truly is unjust retribution!
 Millions of folk rely on the state.
I know it’s not ideal but let’s make no mistake,
the Scottish parliament opposed such cuts, Scotland put their most vulnerable first!
    Doesn’t matter though, Westminster rules!
Lets stop listening to these godamn fools!
Millionaires, Etonian school boys, all pally pally telling us what to do,
never not once has any of them had to sign on at the bru!
While billionaire tax cuts are passed through as policy,
 the poorest are attacked. How is this democracy?
The worst of it is the division it will cause,
folk judging us as cheats,lazy, worse than dirt on dogs paws!
    Our UK government telling us we are not worthy without evidence.
How can we remedy this? Lets vote YES to Scottish independence!

2 comments:

  1. Excellent and very honest poetry. Get a few more posted as you have talent! Agree with every point you make in your work :-) Be strong

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard enough being disabled, feeling useless, frustrated constantly assessing you're self.
    Wondering if there is some kind of work you could do.
    But now we are not just stuck with a life changing disability.
    No, now you are a scrounger, a drain on the NHS an all round drain on a society, the government don't even believe in.
    I do know how you feel, I'm the same, back injury find it hard to even walk, constantly in pain.
    Adicted to all sorts of medication.
    But now I feel like people look at me in a different way.

    I don't want sympathy, just a bit of understanding would do.
    The new hope I have clung onto, is for a government that cares about me, and does not
    Premote hatred for us drains on our society.
    A Yes next year, means more to some than it does to others.

    Keep up the fight.

    Good luck.
    Stevie.

    ReplyDelete